Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Beautiful, Glorious Nap

We all know that I'm not a napper, I've complained about my lack of skill in this area before. However, I occasionally have a success. This morning it was the most wonderful success I could have imagined. I'd say the set up started last night, the babe woke up for some reason at 3am and decided to eat and be WIDE AWAKE. I think he's still getting used to a sleep sack instead of a swaddler. He had worked himself up against the side of the crib so his little head was against the wood. No bueno.

I spent almost an hour with him and then threw myself back into bed, but he still woke up earlier than I'd like him to get up (7:30 is our goal). Needless to say, I was freakin tired by the time his first nap rolled around, especially since I'd gone to bed late the night before (editing is piling up in mountains!).

We were up in my room for some reason, and I laid him down on the bed. He started rubbing his eyes and making general signs of sleepiness so I got him a pacifier, removed my pillow from the bed, and pulled the covers half-way up on us. My pregnancy pillow is still on my side of the bed so I knew he wouldn't roll off that way, and I was blocking the other direction, so I thought we'd just see how this played out. He laid there for a minute and turned to look at me. I made sleepy faces and started closing my eyes. He has taken to rubbing and holding my arm when I change his diaper lately, and he started rubbing his hand along my arm at this point. Quickly his little eyes started to close.

I laid next to him trying to keep my eyes open for about 10-15 minutes because I was nervous about this new endeavour, but I soon gave in to sleep. I slept VERY lightly (again, nerves), and I woke up a couple times, but when I actually cracked my eyes we'd been laying there together for an hour and twenty minutes! My little boy usually only naps 30 minutes at a time, and I don't normally do it at all so this was great!

And the special part of it was the sweet look on his face. He kept his arm stretched out on me, and he never turned his face away from mine. We were cuddled up together, and all was right with the world. I felt such an overwhelming joy for something so simple yet so beautiful. Sleeping with my son is a privilege I could never have imagined before he arrived. And I thank God for him :)

2 comments:

Vic said...

So sweet! I love how he was "holding your hand"...

Unknown said...

It was fantastic! Definitely a mommy bonus!