Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Urgent Care

Oy. Tonight was supposed to be some relaxing girl time at Stitch n Bitch. WRONG. Did I get to hear about Allison's match.com date? No. Did I get to sip lovely coffee and crochet? No. I did get to sit at urgent care for almost 2 hours to get Big Anthony's ear looked at. He came home in a lot of pain after being thrown from an inner tube by some guy who apparently doesn't know how to operate a jet ski. He kept clutching his head and saying his ear hurt. He went upstairs to put some swimmer's ear drops in them because he thought it was clogged with water. WRONG.

I hear screaming and howls of pain coming from upstairs. He can barely talk because he's in so much pain. I took the baby and ran downstairs to call urgent care and get an appointment. When we finally saw the doctor, it went like this:

Dr.: What happened?
Anthony: Thrown from a jet ski about 3 hours ago, my ear hurts.
Dr.: Let's take a look. Hmmm. You have an ear infection, and it's so red and swollen that I can't see if you have a rupture in your ear drum.
Me: Don't forget about the fact that you used ear drops.
Dr.: You did what?! That's pretty much the worse thing you could have done. That's why it's so inflamed and swollen. It's making it impossible to tell if there's a rupture so you'll have to wait a couple days and see if it's feeling any better. In the mean time you need cortizone drops, antibiotics for the infection, and some pain medication.
Anthony: I need something now.
Dr.: I can give you Demerol. (Looks at me...) He's going to be useless the rest of the day. No walking, straight into bed.
Me: Greeeeeeeeat.

Then it took over 20 minutes for the nurse to come back with the shot. They make you wait 15 more minutes to see if there's a reaction. Oh, and did I mention that I have a baby with me who would love to eat dinner and go to bed?! After almost 2 hours there, we finally got to go pick up his prescriptions and head home. OY. I must say that my child did beautifully for the situation. I was able to entertain him for quite a while with puffs, a toy banana, and my awesome personality :)

Anthony's doing pretty bad, and he'll probably be home from work tomorrow. I will be off to visit Grandma Abke while she's in Austin. I hope tomorrow is better than today.

2 comments:

~dave. said...

that sucks. hope big tony feels better soon. btw, what the hell was he doing on tubing and jet-skiing on a tuesday afternoon? Isn't that boy supposed to be managing the internet somewhere?

Unknown said...

Dave, I thought you knew that the entrance to "the internet" is under Lake Travis. Dude, catch up.